“I just don’t know what to do. I’m bored.”
It’s one week into summer and already the thought has crossed your mind.
Admit it, we’ve all been there.
Ahhh, the infamous summer boredom. Getting out of school is exciting at first, and we revel in all our free time. But we can quickly settle into a slump once the novelty wears off. We can only keep ourselves occupied for so long. So what to do with the long summer days? In our humble opinion, there is one foolproof remedy for ALL boring days. Get out on a bike!
That’s right, you knew it was coming.
We admit it, we might be a little biased. But really, what’s better than spending warm summer evenings cruising around the hills as a family, watching the sun set over the hills as the crickets chirp? Or waking up early on a Saturday morning to head out to explore some exciting new forest with friends? Especially with the freedom of summer, mountain biking offers endless possibilities for adventure and great memories.
That’s what we here at Summit Bike Club are all about! We believe that if you love what you do, you’ll stick with it. So, whether you’re an avid rider, or you haven’t ever touched a mountain bike, you should get out there and give the trails some love. You’ll be amazed by what they give back! Here’s 5 reasons why we think MTB is the magic cure for those summer blah days.
1. Get outside – Sometimes, it’s fun to play video games all day. But it’s not such a great feeling to look at the clock and realize it’s already 7PM and you’ve wasted almost every ray of the day’s beautiful sunshine. Getting out on a bike is a great way to enjoy nature! Depending on where you live, this might be hills, forest, desert, or even just your neighborhood bike park. But trust us when we say a breath of fresh air can be just what you need to brighten up your day and chase the boredom away.
2. Make new friends – Mountain Biking is for everyone! It doesn’t matter what age you are, or if you’ve ever ridden on dirt before, getting out on the trails and pedaling around is still a great time. Mountain biking is a great opportunity to invite friends to do something fun, and to get out and meet new kids. Some of the people you meet while out on the bike will probably become your friends for life! You probably already have friends who ride, and who would love to take you out riding. Ask around! It’s also a great activity to do as a family.
3. Adventure and Explore – It’s easy to get stuck in a boring routine in the summer. Sometimes we have sports or camps or activities to keep us occupied. But what about when there’s nothing exciting going on? MTB lets you explore new places and change it up a bit! Try taking a weekend trip with your family, or even looking up new trails close to home.
4. Develop new skills – It’s hard to be bored when you’re learning something new. You always have something to practice, whether it’s bunny-hopping curbs in front of your house, or shredding downhills as fast as you can. When your mind is on improving and having fun, you won’t even have to ask yourself “what should I do now?” Trust us, you have a million things to work on! MTB is also a great way to develop skills beyond the bike. Persistence, precision, and passion are just some of the many skills that young riders learn over time.
5. Move your body – Exercise is a sure-fire way to shake off a slump. Get your blood pumping, and you’ll find yourself not only energized and excited about mountain biking, but also more inspired and creative about coming up with other things to do as well.
Convinced yet? If you’re suffering from summer boredom, the only prescription you need is some good old-fashioned mountain biking. Don’t be afraid to try it out! Don’t know where to start? Check out our regional programs to see if there’s a club near you! Our weekly practices are a great way to meet new people, connect with the community, and learn new skills. Invite a friend to try it out with you! Also, stay tuned here on the blog as we share our tips, tricks, and favorite places to ride.
Let us know down below. What are your favorite ways to keep busy during the summer? Where do you love to ride? Have you been on any great summer adventures?