Warm up 10 min (Zone 1 – Zone 2)
Tempo 2 min (Zone 2 – Zone 3)
Sweet spot 1 min (Zone 3 – Zone 4)
Threshold 30 sec (Zone 4)
VO2 Max 15 sec (Zone4 – Zone 5)
Endurance 5 min (Zone 2)
Cool Down 10 min (zone 1)
TRAIL RECOMMENDATION FOR WORKOUT:
Find a gradual uphill that will take about 10min to reach the top. If this is unavailable in your area find something that is flat. The best would be a dirt fire road or a safe paved road. Once workout is complete cool down and have fun on some single track.
ZONE WORKOUT GUIDE
Zone 1 – Recovery
- This should feel super easy, just spin the legs but don’t work hard. Start warming up the legs.
Zone 2 – Endurance
- This should be slightly harder than an easy spin, but a pace you could hold for a very long time.
Zone 3 – Tempo
- This zone you will start breathing harder, but shouldn’t be too hard. You should be able to hold this pace for the majority of a ride/race.
Zone 4 – Threshold
- This will feel hard just before to the point where you would fell like you are at max effort, but you could hold it for a couple minutes.
Zone 5 – Vo2 Max
- This zone you are going as hard as you can without being in a full sprint.
Zone 6 – Sprint
- The last zone is a full out sprint, just like the start of a race or coming to the finish against a competitor.